Tuesday, November 13, 2007

TRAPPED!

I don't ever remember this happening in California, maybe because I usually lived in apartments. But in Kansas City, when winter comes, mice start seeking food and shelter in your house. When we got our first mice a couple years ago, I looked into mouse traps and asked around. Most mouse traps are pretty awful things. Lots of people have stories of finding half-alive squealing mice with their faces glued to the glue trap. Then you have to throw it away and/or kill it. Sad!

So first I tried to build my own live trap. That did not work.

Then I found a live trap for sale online. It works perfectly! You open the door, put some food in, they walk in, it shuts (usually). So I whole-heartedly endorse live traps for mice. Here's a picture of the little guy I caught last night.


Then you just take them to a park, open the door, and off they run! Although I admit one time I didn't check the trap for a few days, and a mouse had been in the trap long enough that he died :-(

1 comment:

I CAN'T BE SILENCED! said...

That's cool and animal rightsy, but this freaks me out. I'm not a rodent fan. What's to stop them from choosing your house again?

I don't like the traps either, but I like the Darwinism of getting a cat. That way, it's like Tom & Jerry. If Jerry's a smart mouse, he can chill. If not, he's dinner