Thursday, October 25, 2007

SoCal on Fire


The fires that have engulfed all 7 counties in Southern California has taken a toll on my psyche. Has the fires affected me? Not personally. My home is nowhere near any of the fires. None of my family or friends have lost their homes in the fire. The worse thing has been breathing ashes for the last several days.

What the fire has done to me is smack me back to reality that we, as human beings, are at the mercy of Mother Nature. No matter how much we push, pull, twist, and bend her, she always snaps back and we always get our "world" rocked. So many lives have been turned upside down by these fires. Homes lost. Lives lost. Businesses lost. It's terrible to think about, but what happens when all the proof that you existed and did something in your time on Earth gets burnt to a crisp?

Check out this picture, which hit me the most. An amazing example of the fury and beauty of Mother Nature and the visual reality, at least for me, that we're just a small drop in the bucket that's called Earth.

1 comment:

Eric Barr said...

Aaaargh, I wrote a long comment and I wasn't signed in and it appears freakin' blogspot lost it.

Anyway....I basically said good post, people should respect Mother Nature more in general.

Watch this 60 Minutes story about fires and climate change:
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3389657n&channel=/sections/60minutes/videoplayer3415.shtml

AND... at least you can back up your digital stuff so it won't be lost in a disaster like this. Upload your photos online somewhere and send a backup CD to your parents' house!